Demonstrate Your Knowledge Of Testing Security Controls Aligned With Input Validation And Business Logic. You Will Also Use The Recommended OWASP Testing Guide Reporting Format To Report Your Test Findings
Using the readings from weeks 7 and 8 as a baseline, analyze, test and document the results for the tutoring web application found on the SDEV virtual machine. ( I PREFER USING YOUR OWN VM HERE CAUSE I WOULDN’T SHARE PERSONAL INFO) Use both manual means and automated tools (e.g., ZAP). The latter will enable you to discover more information than a cursory manual examination. Specific tests to be conducted include:
2. Testing for Stored Cross site scripting (OTG-INPVAL-002)
What is the importance of testing for this vulnerability? What happens when you attempt to add a pop-up window (e.g., ) to the email input field within the “index.html” field? Can you introduce Stored Cross site scripting?
3. Testing for SQL Injection (OTG-INPVAL-005) Did your manual and automated testing discover any SQL Injection vulnerabilities – if so, how many? (Note: There should be at least one occurrence). Name two or more steps you can take according to the reading to resolve the issue. Fix and test at least one occurrence of the vulnerabilities – displaying your resulting source code and output results.
4. Testing for Code Injection (OTG-INPVAL-012) What is the importance of testing for this vulnerability? What are at least two measures you can take to remediate this issue? Can you input some simple html code or exploit Remote File Inclusion (RFI)?
5. Test business logic data validation (OTG-BUSLOGIC-001)
What are at least two examples of business logic errors? This could be from various input forms or areas you discovered in previous HW assignments. How can you mitigate against such errors?
6. Test integrity checks (OTG-BUSLOGIC-003) Do Drop down menus exist and are they sufficient for the application? Why does the use of drop-down menus help mitigate against this risk? Does your manual or automated scan reveal the use of password “AUTOCOMPLETE”? What issue, if any, does the use of AUTOCOMPLETE pose?
7. Test defenses against application misuse (OTG-BUSLOGIC-007)
What is the importance of testing for this vulnerability? Can adding additional characters in input fields cause unexpected results? Verify for at least two instances.
You should document the results for the tests, your comments, and recommendations for improved security for each security control tested in a word or PDF document. The format of your document should be the format that is recommended in chapter 5 of the OWASP testing guide. Provide screen captures and descriptions of your tests conducted. Discuss any issues found and possible mitigations.
You should submit your document by the due date. Your document should be well-organized, use the OWASP recommended reporting format, include all references used and contain minimal spelling and grammar errors.